Movies Watched, October 2017


With everything happening in my life, somehow the reminder to post the monthly recap gets relegated to the very back of my mind. Guess I'll save everything for the year-end recap. I am currently well despite some gastritis problem and I'm hoping you are. Also I've been behind in blogwalking and I felt bad considering how warm your response to my previous post but I promise I'll get back to you soon. I promise.

October was adventurous. Revisiting old faves and checking out some much-hyped movies from earlier years. I managed to catch Thor: Ragnarok which was super fun. Kinda regret I didn't go to do the second watch (hopefully soon! It's still in theatres!). Everyone looks like they're having the time of their lives and afterward I came out of the theatre grinning from ear to ear. It's a bit bummer that the movie went the usual Marvel-esque typical story by the last third but everything is amazing. Thor gets the movie he deserves. Well done, Taika Waititi.

I also checked out the critically acclaimed Blade Runner prior to its sequel in which I missed alongside Wind River. So bummed. I grew up with mangas and animes inspired by Blade Runner and I have to say it's even better than every inspired work after. Years after and it's still hold up. The cinematography is perfect, the realm is even better. Then, to a friend's recommendation, I watched Ghost in the Shell for accompanying material to Blade Runner. Strangely they fit together rather seamlessly -- with GitS being the inspired work et al. It was somewhat surreal experience and I enjoyed both a little too much. I am so going to repeat that.



October 1st to October 31st. Total: 13 movies



  1. The Host (2013) – will be a dent in Saoirse Ronan's career but she survived.
  2. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) – golden. The church scene will forever be bonkers.
  3. Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015) – that movie you play when the world gets rough and all you need is a lot of sunshine. It's amazing how wonderful this movie is without any dialogue intact.
  4. Hot Fuzz (2007) – I'm at a point where I don't believe anyone who rated this lower than 4 stars lol
  5. Ali (2001) – Will Smith being Will Smith, what's new? But I was pretty taken aback with how delicate Malcolm X's portrayal was. In a good way. Good job, Mario van Peebles.
  6. Lucy (2014) – still indifferent about this movie. It was action-packed but a little to no substance to me. Still an interesting watch.
  7. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016) – it's hard not to swoon over how good Ezra Miller look in Colin Farrell's arms.
  8. Blade Runner (1982) – Talented. Brilliant. Incredible. Amazing. Showstopping. Spectacular. It's such a slow-burn movie but it pays a lot at the end.
  9. Ghost in the Shell (2017) – This is how I envisioned Blade Runner to be if it's made in recent times and I think it's wonderful, despite its storytelling problem. Anyone agrees how inhumanely-humane Scarlett Johansson's voice is?
  10. Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013) – nothing new but a good companion to its predecessor.
  11. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)* – I never had that much of fun watching a movie before. This movie puts a huge smile on my face. Kind of bummed it went down the usual Marvel movies plot by the last third.
  12. Constantine (2005) – I, too, would scream if I were between Keanu Reeves' legs 👀
  13. Don’t Breathe (2016) – definitely one of the best 'horror-thriller' movie from 2010s. It was so intense and you don't know who to root for throughout the movie as the twists keep on coming. Highly recommended.


Movies marked with an asterisk were watched in cinema. For a full list please go ahead to my Letterboxd. Also, for a real-time update, hop onto my diary where I (might) wrote slightly longer review on the movie. Here's my list for January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, and September.



/



Anything you watched? Anything you're looking forward to watch?


Post a Comment

Drop me a nice one (+ cupcakes. Pretty please?)

A Wordsmith.